Sunday, November 27, 2011

Turkey Day Trot


Thanksgiving 2011 was a little bit different this year for us. Usually, we wake up early and hang out with the family at mom and dad's house. We play games, eat appetizers and sip on egg nog. Not that we don't have fun - but I always find myself feeling like we could be doing something healthier! So this year I got it in my head that I wanted to run a 5K. I had soon recruited one of my nieces, two nephews and a sister to join in ... and of course Robert said he was all for it. Here we are just before the race in mom and dad's kitchen. That's me (the shorty), Robert, my niece and my younger sister.

Robert was the big winner, coming in at 28:11. He was followed by my 15 year old nephew, my 13 year old nephew and my 15 year old niece. Me and my younger sister followed soon afterward. The big winner of the day, in my opinion, was my 13 year old nephew. He's a tennis player but definitely not a runner. His mom was worried that he wouldn't make it. He stuck with Robert the entire time! He told me that he got a stitch during the last 1/2 mile and walked for just a bit. When he saw the finish line, he told himself, "I'm just gonna run" and he did!

After the race, we hopped into Robert's SUV and listened to some tunes ( Dance Dance by Fallout Boy, Raise Your Glass by Pink, Sit Down by James, Bodies by Drowning Pool, Not Afraid by Eminem, How Far We've Come by Matchbox 20, Walk by the Foo Fighters) as we drove to mom and dad's. Everyone took a shower and we were all soon sitting at the dinner table enjoying a huge meal of turkey and all the trimmings.

Hope you enjoyed yours.

Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! We welcome your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...